Hello, Jana here. I have started some variation of this blog on three separate occasions. Once in 2006 leading up to a divorce, which clearly was a much needed creative outlet. Once in 2011, while working a very boring job (although happily engaged) and craved a project. And now here I am again. Imagine how many recipes and shitty photos I’d have in the archives if I had just kept at it!
The problem is that I have too many hobbies. Too many things are interesting and fun to learn about. However, I go through manic periods when I get a burst of inspiration, dive in, but quickly move to the next thing. Foreign lands, cooking, cars, tile making, painting, you name it, I want to do it all!
I stopped blogging last time around when Instagram launched. It’s much easier to write a couple of sentences with some hashtags, than it is to devote time to researching, writing, and editing blog post. I try to stay active on instagram so be sure to go over there and say hi.
Things you won’t find on this blog:
- Mommy stuff. I am a step-mom (yay!) but I don’t have any babies of my own. I need to borrow some babies. They make for great photos, drool, and smiles.
- Flan, Panna Cotta, Aspic. Clearly I have an aversion to solidified gelatinous foods.
- Lavender. Don’t get me wrong, lavender flowers are beautiful but in recipes, it tastes like eating soap.
Things you will find:
- Negronis. I like my cocktails like my attitude, bitter. I aspire daily to NOT find things be bitter about.
- Cars. My husband and I are huge classic car fans. He builds them and I generally just love cars. We’re up to 7 cars – 3 of which are orange – and quickly running out of room. I have a white 1966 Volvo 1800S sitting in my garage waiting for some attention. It looks kinda like this one but not nearly as nice. And someday we want to make it electric!
- Remodeling projects. Husband and I bought a house a few years ago with the desire to remodel and add a whole bunch of garage. See item #2 above.
- Food. Duh.
- Flowers and Gardening. When it isn’t eleventy billion degrees outside here in Austin, I do like to get my hands dirty.
- Travel. I didn’t have a passport until I was 40. I’m trying to make up for lost time.